Translate

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Finding My Calling..

Have you ever had a moment in your life, when God says, "It's time."
And heaven opens up, and your answer to a question you weren't sure you had is right there in front of you? ...No?... Well, I guess that's not really what happened to me today. At least, that's not how I would explain the intensity of it.

I was walking out of math, around 4:15, just an ordinary Thursday.
And I had on a long flowey skirt that made me want to be in Africa, and I parked at the back of the south lot so I could enjoy my walk to my car, and call it God, or fate, or whatever you want to call it;

But I could not get the statistic that only around 1% of African girls ever get to go to college.

It just wouldn't quit.

And I was thinking about how much I really do enjoy college. It's fun, and I've learned so much about myself, and the people I surround myself with, and my future, and it was like God was saying, "Here you go. This is it. This is the reason I put you on this earth Dorothy. Listen to me you bone head! (Okay, I may have added that in myself.)

And I guess this is divine intervention, because lately, I've been really thinking about girls.
Sexism. Biases. Jokes, and just things that put girls in a box.

I've never been a feminist. In fact, they scare me. I grew up with men, I'm used to men, but something about the fact that only 1% of African girls even get the choice to go to college, made me mad.

And not American Mad.
And what I mean by American Mad is something I've noticed here in America.

We see things like genocide, mutilation, LRA, people killing their own people, girls in china just thrown to the side, and we think, "Holy crap!!! That sucks! Someone really needs to do something about that."

And then, we go back to dinner. Two and a Half Men is so much more important that those people who have no hope.

But it was God. And it was real. And I have no idea how I'm going to do it.

But I think God just showed me my calling...

Who knows, maybe we'll change the world.

Peace to you tonight,
Dorothy.
9.26.13.

No comments:

Post a Comment