Translate

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

We Are Not Just Saved..


Tonight I have been listening to a podcast from David Platt called, “Two Simple Words: Follow Me.”

He was talking on Matthew 13:44

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.”

And I’ve heard this verse a lot, but when he started talking about being a true disciple, and going out into the world, when he started reading the verse and said the word treasure, I had Africa pop into my head.

The country, the children, the dirt, the lifestyles, the languages, and everything else I’ve ever learned about it.

That is my treasure in the field. That is my pearl. That is what I leave my entire first-world way of living to get. I trade everything! I sell it all!

 I don’t want anything else for the rest of my life but to love and to live in and for God through Africa.

I think the idea of finding our treasure in our metaphoric field that connects us to the kingdom of God in such ways that it’s unimaginable, is wonderful, and exciting, and makes us so motivated to find it..

But it’s so scary! I mean, seriously!

And I’m not trying to talk you out of seeking for your treasure, but for real!

Think about it! You find something, or someone, or somewhere that makes you move so much that you sell everything that hinders your opportunity to get to that place, to get to that person, or those people, or anything else, that you find your love waiting for you, and God put it there just waiting for you to give what it takes to get it.

But what it takes, what it costs, is everything!

We are not just fogiven!

That is an American gospel. That is a deluted gospel.

We are not just saved from our sins. We are saved from our sins, we are saved from the American dream, we are saved from loving our big screen tv’s, we are saved from putting our lives into our trucks, and we are saved from ourselves. We are saved so we can show the grace and mercy of Christ around us.

He is our motivation, and he is our goal.

Our goal, is radical abandonment.

Not more stuff.

Peace to you tonight,

Dorothy.

10.1.13

No comments:

Post a Comment